In this blog, we learn about lipid profile test. It is very important topic to understand. Once you read whole article, you can understand & interpret lipid profile report.
Procedure of lipid profile test
Lipid profile test or lipid panel test, is a simple blood report. Blood is taken from a vein & this test gives information about blood fats like cholesterol, triglyceride, etc.
What is lipid?
Lipid means fat. It is necessary for normal functioning of body cell. It produces necessary hormones & also gives us energy. Below mention are lipids which comes in lipid profile test.
- HDL cholesterol (high density lipid)
- LDL cholesterol (low density lipid)
- VLDL cholesterol (very low density lipid)
When to do lipid profile test?
As per Adult Treatment Panel (ATP) III guidelines, healthy adult with no cardiovascular risk factors, should do test once in five years.
Is abnormality is problematic?
High level of cholesterol or triglyceride may cause blockage of arteries. This blockage increases with time & finally blood can not reached to heart in sufficient quantity. This leads to heart diseases, coronary artery diseases, heart attack, stroke.
What to see in lipid profile test?
It is type of lipid, which is necessary for normal functioning of body cells & also produces hormones. But too much amount can problem.
We get cholesterol from two sources. Your liver makes cholesterol you need. Second one is from animal diet & dairy products. We measures all fats in mg/dl.
|Normal range||less than 200|
|Moderate||200 to 239|
|High||more than 240|
It is also type of lipid, which we get it from any type of oil, oily food, fried food, butter, etc.
|Normal range||less than 150|
|Moderate||150 to 199|
|High||200 to 499|
|Very high||more than 500|
HDL cholesterol (high density lipid)
There are 3 types of cholesterol: High density lipid (HDL), low density lipid (LDL), very low density lipid (VLDL).
Out of these, HDL is good cholesterol. It removes excess fat or clots in blood vessels. So, high level of HDL is beneficial for our health.
Normal range – 40 to 60
It must be remain 40 to 60 mg/dl level. If it goes beyond 60 mg/dl than it is also beneficial for our health. Because it removes clot or excess fat from blood vessels & saves us from many heart diseases.
LDL cholesterol (low density lipid)
LDL is bad cholesterol, high level of low density lipid is harmful for our body. High level of LDL level may form clots in blood vessels & may cause heart attack, stroke.
|Normal range||less than 100|
|Near or above optimal||100 – 129|
|Borderline||130 to 159|
|High||160 to 189|
|Very high||more than 190|
VLDL cholesterol (very low density lipid)
Normal range – less than 30
Cholesterol : HDL ratio
Total cholesterol level divided by HDL is also mentioned in lipid profile report.
Normal range – upto 5
Eg. If your cholesterol level is 200 mg/dl & HDL level is 40mg/dl. Than 200/40 = 5. So, ratio is normal in this case.
LDL : HDL ratio
This ratio also gives us clue of overall health.
Normal range – upto 3.5
If these ratio comes high, than one should try to maintain normal level by life style medication, changing dietary habits & also should take support of medicines if needed.
There are some risk factors due to which there is high chance of lipid profile disturbance.
- Family history of high cholesterol level
- Hypertension, diabetes, overweight
- Addiction of alcohol & smoking
- High stress level
- Inactive life style
If your lipid profile is not normal, than you must try to control in every possible way. Because high level of lipid in blood increases the risk of heart disease.
- Exercise, yoga will be beneficial in every aspect of our life.
- Weight loss should be our goal, if you are overweight.
- Keep away from alcohol, smoking.
- Avoid animal food & dairy products if your cholesterol level is high.
- Avoid oils, oily food, fried food & milk products if your triglyceride level is high.
- Lipid lowering medicines (statins) needed, if not controlled by life style modification. Eg. Aterovastatin, rosuvastatin, finofibrate, etc.
- Once detected high lipid than monitor it every year or as advise by doctor. If you are completely healthy than should do lipid profile report every five year.
- Living stress free life is needed in today’s era.
Hope you like the article, to watch video on above content kindly click below link.